Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cinema Comes to Riyadh for First Time



For the earliest time in three decades, Saudis in the nation's capital did something that the majority Westerners take for decided — they went to the movies. But it wasn't accurately date night. No women were acceptable.Last Saturday's screening of the Saudi film, "Menahi," brought a flavor of the moviegoing experience to Riyadh more than 30 years after the government begin shutting down theaters — a move driven by religious conservatives who view cultural activities such as movie screenings and concerts with concern because they possibly will lead to mixing of the sexes and violate Islamic values.Men and children, counting girls up to 10, were allowed to attend Saturday's show at a government-run cultural midpoint. Young male organizers of the event manned a checkpoint on the street leading to the gated center so no women could reach the the theater.And in a sign of the challenges that face every small step toward reform, a group of conservative men gathered outside the entry to the center to try to discourage the moviegoers from going in. People mainly ignored them, savoring the possibility to munch popcorn and enjoy the cinema."It was just beautiful to see people look so lively and happy," said Misfir al-Sibai, a 21-year-old Saudi businessman who attend the screening. "That was the best fraction of the evening."Despite the exclusion of half of Riyadh's population, the decision to show the film, fashioned by a company owned by royal tycoon Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, was a daring step. It follows a trend in breach up the kingdom, culturally and in other ways, that begin when King Abdullah came to power in 2005.That has angered conservatives, who have issue edicts against such artistic events. One of them, Youssef al-Ahmed, has even accused Alwaleed and another Saudi businessman of being as dangerous as drug dealers because the TV channels they possess broadcast movies.Inside the center on Saturday, the atmosphere was lively as the moviegoers buy popcorn and posed for pictures with the film's cast.Two Saudi men tried — but failed — to disrupt the evening. One of them stood up after evening prayers at the mosque attached to the cultural middle and urge worshippers not to take the a small number of steps to the theater, said al-Sibai.Shortly after the film begins, the viewers could hear an additional man shout that they should avoid doing from expenditure their money on such corrupt pursuits, said al-Sibai. He was led away by security.Al-Sibai said the disturbances didn't dampen people's mood, and the film — a comedy about a Bedouin who has a difficult time adapting to life in Dubai — was shown in its entirety to an approximately full house.Saudi movie directors and aficionados have try to revive cinema in Saudi Arabia in the past few years, encouraged by the more open surroundings in the kingdom.There has been an upsurge in Saudi-produced movies, some of which have taken part in international film festivals. The kingdom held its first Saudi film festival last year in the city of Dammam. The event was attended by the information minister in a clear sign of bureaucrat approval.Alwaleed, a nephew of King Abdullah and the world's 13th-richest person as ranked by Forbes magazine, has been outspoken about the need for movie theaters, saying in February he is certain that one day there will be cinemas in Saudi Arabia.Although there are no theaters in the country, Saudis can watch movies at home on television. Some hold informal screenings in their living rooms or travel to nearby Bahrain to catch the latest releases. There are also numerous video stores that stock the latest films after kisses and other such scenes have been cut. Several Saudi newspapers even have a weekly movie page."Menahi" was shown to a mixed audience in the more open western seaport city of Jiddah and the resort of Taif a few months ago. According to a statement by Rotana, which produced "Menahi," 25,000 viewers watched the movie, including 9,000 women.Ibrahim Badi, Rotana spokesman, said the company could not get permission from authorities for women to attend in more conservative Riyadh.Publicity for the film in Riyadh was discreet, apparently out of fear opponents would gather en masse to stop the screening. A couple of newspapers reported the coming event Saturday and listed the few places where tickets could be bought. Three more shows are expected in the coming days.Talal Saleh, a 25-year-old who attended the screening, said it's better to keep women away at the beginning."This is a conservative society that's not used to mixing," said Saleh. "Change should happen,For more news log on to newssmarttvweb.com or rehmankhan66@gmail.com

Related Posts by Categories

Shocking News
World News


Widget by BFI Pakistan

0 comments on "Cinema Comes to Riyadh for First Time"

Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe in a Reader
:)) ;)) ;;) :D ;) :p :(( :) :( :X =(( :-o :-/ :-* :| 8-} :)] ~x( :-t b-( :-L x( =))

Post a Comment

 

News | Copyright © 2009 |See Live News | By Smart News TV